Thursday, February 10, 2011

HOW IT ALL STARTED (1) 2/10/11

I don't know how to start with this, but I guess I will begin with when I got married. We will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary in about 6 months, and I should be extremely excited about this, but this date will also mark ten years of "TTC" trying to conceive and here we are still just the two of us, well except for our 4 dogs and 1 cat! Who are Jasmine, Kobe, Mandy, Molly, and Bennie "aka" kitty bitty. They are our kids. One thing is for certain, we may not be able to have a child, but we can always have a furbaby around! 
   So after we got married we decided if I were to get pregnant it would be okay. We really never tried to prevent a pregnancy. We knew it might not be easy, but we never imagined it to be this difficult. Months went by and then it turned to years and still had not achieved what almost every couple dreams about: starting a family.
 I wanted to see what was going on. So I had some tests done and was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). PCOS is a condition in which there are many small cysts in the ovaries which can affect a woman's ability to become pregnant. http://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/polycystic-ovary-disease?utm_medium=ask&utm_source=smart&utm_campaign=article&utm_term=Polycystic+Ovary+Disease&ask_return=Polycystic+Ovary+Disease
It also causes many other health problems as well. A symptom I have had is weight gain. It is difficult to lose weight with PCOS. It is a constant uphill battle and I am always dieting. I can look at something and gain 10 pounds. 
After finding this out I was prescribed Clomid a mild fertility drug. Of course I thought this would be the answer. Come to find out, it wasn't! With that not working we just continued to pray it would happen for us someday. I struggled mentally. I wanted to have a baby in the worst way. It's like how every girl dreams about their wedding day, I think almost every woman dreams about having a baby as well. A natural motherly instinct that we are born with or that thing people call a biological time clock. Well my clock was ticking louder and louder as each month passed by and with every negative test I took. 
I thought I would never be able to give up on our dream of having a baby, but eventually I came to terms with it. I got to an amazing point in my life after about 6 years of TTC. I had finally talked myself into accepting the fact that I was infertile and I would never get pregnant and I was okay with it! I was ready to move on, but I did not know I was getting ready to take a turn on a more difficult road ahead.
I was having irregular periods (PCOS symptom) and my Doctor wanted me to get regular so she gave me a prescription to take and told me to take a pregnancy test before I started taking them. I told her that was a waste of money, but she insisted I just make sure. So when the time came to start taking my pills, I took a pregnancy test. I sat it on the side of the tub and gave it a few seconds and what I saw was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. A chapter I will continue with in the next blog! Goodnight

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Welcome to the ALI blogosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope we can share our experiences and gain strength from one another. I hate knowing there is someone who experiences the same suffering as me, but then I am glad to know I am not alone in this battle. A lot of times I feel as if I am the only one in the world who goes through this, as I am sure you feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, we all feel that from time to time :) But there's so many of us out there, and you can make some wonderful friends and get some great support in this blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete